If you are hiding your smile because of damaged teeth or delaying treatment because you don’t know about your treatment options, we have options to help you. Dental implants are a natural-looking and highly functional way to fix your teeth and a great way to help you start smiling again with confidence. Here is some additional information including the characteristics that doctors look for when deciding if patients are a good candidate for the procedure.
Dental implants are a tooth replacement option that uses artificial tooth roots as the foundation. These small titanium roots are surgically implanted into the jawbone so they are strong, permanent, and durable. Once your implant roots are completely healed, a middle piece called an abutment is attached. And finally, the last step involves placing the artificial tooth, onto the abutment. Once this happens, the patient has a strong and natural-looking new tooth.
Good candidates for dental implants are usually missing one or more teeth and possess the following characteristics:
1) Adequate bone and healthy gum tissues.* Because the dental implant procedure involves anchoring artificial titanium roots directly into the jawbone, a patient must have good density in the jawbone so that the abutment and artificial tooth are supported properly.
* If the tissues in your mouth and jaw are not sufficient, you might need a supplemental procedure. See details below for more information about this procedure.
2) Excellent dental hygiene. Oral tissue will not heal adequately if a patient does not have a clean and healthy mouth. That is why brushing, flossing, and seeing your dentist regularly is so important.
3) Good Overall Health. Underlying health problems can ruin your chances of dental implant success. Health problems do not disqualify the patient, but may warrant further examination.
4) Willingness To Follow Doctor’s Orders. This factor is important because listening to your doctor can mean the difference between dental implant success and failure. Additionally, ignoring doctor’s orders can result in reduced functionality, pain, and implant failure.
The answer to this is yes. Here are some of the patients that may be less desirable:
Patients that smoke
Patients that have problems with alcohol or drug addiction
Children with undeveloped jawbones
Patients with autoimmune disorders
Patients that recently underwent cancer treatment
Patients that have uncontrolled periodontal disease
These patients are not necessarily disqualified when it comes to dental implants. They will simply require a comprehensive examination and additional scrutiny.
Dental implant success depends on healthy gums, sufficient jawbone density, and good overall health. However, if any of these things are lacking, additional procedures may be required to prepare the patient for their dental implant placement. If you lack proper bone density in your jaw, bone grafting is a related procedure that allows your doctor to bulk up your jawbone and make it stronger. During this simple procedure, your doctor will take a piece of healthy tissue from an alternative source. Your doctor will then attach the donated bone to the areas of the jawbone that are weak. The same type of procedure can be used to add healthy volume to gums.
The first step in your journey to a healthy and beautiful smile is to contact our offices for a no-obligation consultation. We offer great financing options and the consultation will allow your doctor to help you determine if dental implants are the right option for your individual needs, goals, and budget. However, every patient is different and only a qualified doctor can determine if your health and oral condition are adequate for dental implants. If you think we can help you get your smile back with dental implants, please call our offices today to schedule your no-obligation consultation.
The time it takes for the entire process from start to finish usually varies from patient to patient. The time frame also depends on the number of implants, the condition of oral tissues, and if supplemental procedures are required. However, on average, the whole procedure takes between 3 and 6 months.
Besides the obvious aesthetic benefits, fixing your missing teeth can help you restore optimal dental health and your lagging self-confidence. If you want a natural and permanent option, dental implants could be the right treatment for you. Call our Havre De Grace, MD office to schedule your consultation with Dr. Grubb today. We have many years of experience and lots of satisfied patients to testify to our skills, products, and exceptional service. Contact us today to get started.
Richard V. Grubb
203 S. Washington St.
Havre de Grace, MD 21078
Monday: 8AM – 4PM
Tuesday: 9AM – 6PM
Wednesday: 8AM – 4PM
Thursday: 8AM – 4PM
Saturday: 8AM – 1PM (once a month)